Sunday, February 20, 2011

Reality Check!

I finished the book Facing Bipolar and have been in shock for the past few days. In shock because I learned the truth about my illness and I am now at the point where I have learned my reality and I am on the road to acceptance. This is why I have been able to update the blog. I have learned that some of my future goals and dreams are out of the window. My dreams of becoming an OB/GYN are probably not something that I can live out because the schedule is to inconsistent. My dream of going to the Peace Corps for two years is also never going to happen because the lack of access to a proper psychiatric support team.

There is hope on the horizon though. I can lead a very happy and successful life. I just have to make some adjustments and some career choices that provide my structure and somewhat of a normal schedule. I can be an Epidemiologist, I just can not take the MD road because the clinical rotations and overall job stress will most likely lead to a hypomanic episode or even worse a full blown manic episode. I will also have to change my volunteer work to something localized or if I go out of the country, it can only be something shorter term.

All this may be a little hard for me to process and may take a little while but I am working on it. I want to see the silver lining so that I can move on with my life. I so desperately want to take back my life. I highly recommend Facing Bipolar, it is a serious reality check that every person with bipolar disorder needs. It is also great for those who know and love someone with bipolar disorder. You will have a better understanding on the disorder and how to make it a little more manageable.

No comments:

Post a Comment