Friday, July 8, 2011

So why are you asking me???

I am currently dealing with an immediate family member whose sole goal in life is to prove people wrong. If you say something that she believes is incorrect she will try to force her beliefs upon you. She is always right and you are always wrong. You are supposed to automatically accept her truth just because she says that it is the truth, no matter how far from logic that her truth is. In life, you will hear many explanation of what is right, what is wrong, why it is right and why it is wrong. Our responsibility as human beings is to research and educate ourselves on the subjects that we are not educated on. We can not go solely on what a person tells us and accept it as the truth.

This morning we had a dispute about the processes of the court system and the power of the Supreme Court. The way that I have been taught in school is that if one does not receive favorable results or what one feels as unjust results, you can petition for that case in the Supreme Court. Results in the Supreme Court are the laws of the land. Those results are final results and they trump anything that happens in local and state government. If someone is found not guilt (i.e. Casey Anthony), if the prosecution so decided to, she can be taken to the Supreme Court and tried. This is not double jeopardy because the Supreme Court tries a case with a new submission of evidence and they do not consider they local and state government verdicts. So no Casey Anthony can not be retried in Orlando, or any other localized court of law because that would be double jeopardy. But yes she can be tried in Supreme Court for the charges that she did not get charged for (murder and disposal of a dead body).

Well she listened to my argument and said "okay, now stop talking to me. We are done with this subject." But you could tell that she was clearly upset. About 15 minutes or so later, I noticed her pick up laptop and she began loudly and frustratingly tapping away at the keys. Turns out she was looking for a news article about the Casey Anthony trial that would disprove what I said. (This is a regular occurrence from her. She will Google what you said if she doesn't believe that you are right. She will search and search for hours until she can find an article or comment to prove you wrong, not looking at the credibility of the source but simply at the fact that it says that you are incorrect.) When she found what she was looking for she texted me telling me that I was wrong and what phrase to Google to prove that I am wrong and that she was right. I personally do not mind being corrected but someone who attempts to disprove anything that you do not agree with her on but turn around and asks you for help when they do not know something becomes annoying. There have even been time when she has asked me a question or for help and then said that my answer was wrong and that I did not know what I was talking about. So why are you asking me???

I have decided to no longer offer my advice, even when it is asked for. I am going to simply say, "I don't know", because when I do know you say that I am incorrect. This is why as soon as I finish my college education, I am leaving this city. I am moving far, far away. Somewhere that requires at least a 4 hours drive minimum. This chaotic environment is not conducive to my sanity and well-being. This could possibly be the source of my self-doubt and insecurity. Actually I am pretty sure that it is. Even when I know that I know the answer, I am very afraid to admit it and speak up about it. Because I know the reaction at home when I do know the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment